Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Hey-oh!

So Happy Holidays.

Lee and I are in the middle of our celebration. We went to New Orleans to celebrate Christmas with my family this past weekend, and the coming weekend, we are going to his parents house to celebrate Hannukah. This two holiday thing...not too shabby, I highly reccomend it actually.

This past weekend was so much fun. We got up at the ass crack of dawn, ( read= 3:00 am) to get to the airport. I was so scared of Isaac flying. I just knew that he had been a perfect baby for too long, that this would be his downfall. I pictured us walking on the plane and him just screaming. Screaming for the entire trip. I felt it coming. And to prepare, I lost sleep worrying over it.

Well, he came through like a heavy weight champ. Not only did he not cry once, he wasn't awake the entire flight. Some guy sat down in front of us, rolled his eyes and told his girlfriend, "great, there's a baby behind us." I wanted to kick him, but I harbored my Whitney Houston-like aggression and just sat there and took it. Isaac was an angel on the flight, it was the guy in front of us who should have been taken out back and shot. He got up literally five times on a hour and a half flight, and then he kept putting his seat back, and forth....I should be cannonized as a saint for not saying anything to him.

Our next flight we sat next to a really nice lady who was also from New Orleans. Right when we got over the city, you could see everyone leaning over to look out the window. The city was covered in blue. Blue Tarps covered rooftops and I just stopped looking. This was going to be hard, I knew it. I overheard the woman sitting next to us tell Lee, "Prepare your minds and hearts, it's pretty hard to see." Prepare your minds and hearts, and the words just kept repeating in my head. I bit the inside of my lip to keep from crying because I wasn't going to do it. I wasn't going to let this trip get off on such a sad start.

However, when we landed, I saw that wasn't really an option. Katrina has plagued the entire city. It's in everyone's conversations, literally. The news, the papers, the people are all haunted, changed. Its hard to explain, and hard to stomach. We stopped at a restaurant to eat lunch, and they handed us a paper menu. Even the food has been changed. Restaurants aren't even open, and if they are, they are serving smaller menus because they just can't get enough people to work.

Lee and I dropped my parents off at their office, and we drove to their house. We passed houses with red X's showing how many dead bodies had been recovered, or white X's showing that the house had been evacuated. We saw a house that used to be a two story building, but the top story had caught fire. The first floor still stood, and the tops were charred, there was a boat in the driveway that had also caught fire. No one had touched it since. It was unbelieveable how many places are still covered in debris. We saw a boat on the median of a busy street. It's hard to look at, so after we got to my parents house, we didn't leave until we were going to the airport again.

Christmas morning was amazing. Having a child, you see the world through his eyes, all over again. It's all so new. Isaac, Lee and I all raked in some pretty good gifts. I didn't expect anything really. My parents paid for our trip there, that was all that I could ask for.

As hard as it was, I needed to be there for Christmas. So much has changed this year, I feel like my whole life has been flipped upside down, and that I had no control over any of it. I adore my friends and family more than anything in the world. Being surrounded by them was really all I wanted for Christmas. I'm so happy that it happened.

Now, I just have to get back to putting our house in order.....